A pallet is a flat structure that supports goods while being lifted by a forklift, a pallet jack, a front loader, or a crane for moving. A pallet acts as the structural foundation for a secured load of multiple goods that allows the handling and storage more efficiently. Goods or shipping containers are often placed on a pallet secured with strapping, stretch wrap or shrink wrap and then shipped. The usage of pallets for shipping goods is a cost-effective method of handling, transporting and storing goods. This is why it is the preferred delivery method of many businesses.
The cost of shipping your goods is based on several factors such as the distance and means of transportation. How the shipment is packaged for ease of movement, stow-ability aboard a ship, plane, or truck, the value or liability, and the weight and volume of your product will affect the cost of shipping. Using a pallet system can greatly decrease your shipping costs.
Pallets are mainly made of wood but there are also plastic and metal pallets available if they are more suited to a particular method of transport. Most pallets can easily carry a load of 1,000 kg, therefore they make the movement of heavy stacks much easier. All pallets are not created equal and they are made of different quality and materials, and weigh anywhere between 20 to 70 pounds.
Pallets are part of the most commonly used method of packing in freight shipping in almost every industry that ships freight. They make it quick and easy to load and unload from trucks and containers. If you have a large item or several large items to ship, a courier will struggle to lift your goods. As such, large and heavy items are likely to fall outside of most courier companies’ standard size and weight regulations. A specialist pallet delivery service is required to ensure that your goods are moved safely and kept in good condition during the transportation process.
There are many pallet shipping companies available to choose from and finding the right one to move your pallets can be rather difficult. Using an online marketplace such as Shiply makes it easier to find a delivery service to move pallets for a competitive price. Simply enter the relevant details such as dimensions, collection and delivery details, and you will receive instant specialized quotes from pallet delivery specialists sent to your mailbox.
Preparing For Your Pallet Shipment
Once you have decided on the pallet shipping company to move your cargo, there are a few things you have to do to prepare your pallet for shipment. These will not only eliminate damage, it will allow the carriers to proceed in a timely manner and deliver your shipment without any issues.
- Use high-quality shrink wrap to wrap through the inside of the pallet and around the top several times. Remember to leave room for the forklift.
- Align the boxes with the heaviest on the bottom, in columns, corner-to-corner on the pallet.
- Always keep the top layer flat to prevent damage from top loads.
- Boxes should not extend beyond the pallet’s edge as they will get crushed.
- For added strength, use cardboard corner-boards at each corner of the entire shipment and add a cardboard slip sheet on top.
- Use the stretch-wrap to cover the shipment to prevent pieces from getting separated from the load.
- Use bands or nylon straps to hold down your cargo if necessary.
- Affix proper labels to the shipment and remember to include all necessary documents.
It would be good to take time stamped photos of your items before pickup as evidence of the item’s condition.